Wednesday 26 June 2013

a vintage day

I have a strange hobby, or maybe you can call it a pastime. When I'm just sitting around and my mind starts to wander, I sometimes try to imagine what my day would be like if I were living it in the '50s or '60s. Why? Well, I don't know, part of it is just my vintage obsession I suppose. But for me that goes beyond say wearing vintage clothes while living a completely modern life, you know? I want to try to live (some aspects) of my life the way it would have been back then.

For another thing, I read a great novel a few years ago about a man who learns the secret of time travel - surround yourself with sights and experiences that you would see the year you want to go to. Live in that mindset for a couple weeks and one day you'll wake up, look outside - and really be there! (I forget the name of the book but it's by Jack Finney, check it out!). That thought always sticks in my mind - hmm how could I make today look just like a day from the 50s, if I so desired!



Usually I don't "score" very high on getting a real 50/60s type day! Most days start off with checking my phone and doodling around on it - a habit I'd like to break! Take today - woke up and used my very modern phone. I made a casserole for lunch and went grocery shopping by car - would have been better to walk, no?  I also played a computer game, and here I am blogging, with Pinterest and Etsy open in the background! Other days seem a little more 60s-esque, like those days when I ride my bike to work and come home and listen to records or something.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really try to "score" myself on if I am living a real authentic vintage lifestyle or something like that, oh no! It's just a fun way to occupy myself if I can't fall asleep or am at work with nothing much to do, you know, a thought game. On the other hand, it's also a useful way to think about what aspects of my life and the way I fill my time I enjoy, and which habits I'd rather change!

No comments:

Post a Comment