Friday 5 July 2013

Majorna

The sun was finally shining today! We've been in Gothenburg almost three weeks and this is only the second or third time I've seen the sun.

It was also Friday. Hurray! Fridays are the best, even when you're on vacation.

We walked around in the Majorna neighbourhood, a nice area, pretty quiet, with cool second-hand shops and neighbourhood bars. Majorna is what I think cities must have been like in the 70s.
 With neat small shops like this greengrocers. The sign says, Eggs, Potatoes, Vegetables. What more can you need! They also sell pickled herring. So Swedish.


One of the best record shops I've ever been in is in Majorna, it's called Majorna Skivhallen. They had sooooo many albums I was dying over, including an original pressing of Wanda Jackson's first record! I was swooning over this James Bond record. For one thing, I love any "music to do something by" album, and for another I love James Bond and the music from the movies is actually great, unlike a lot of those Music for whatever albums. I didn't buy it though, I only had 20 crowns on me today. Bummer. I need to start moonlighting and earmark all the extra cash for record shopping.


 In Majorna you can also find tiny hot dog stands (famous ones, this one was in a Julkalender (Christmas tv program) with Robert Gustafsson) and camera stores that have been around forever, to judge by the signage.

Tire pumping station. That shade of blue is really the colour of Gothenburg. It's on all the streetcars, among other things.

 These were in the window of a closed antique shop (it was after five pm). Cool, eh?

 We bought a deck of cards from a bookshop and  played gin rummy on a patio while drinking beer. I love fresh cards! Real dockside feeling to this place, with the awnings and cane chairs.

 "Order sandwich cake here." I love smörgåstårta!!!
And that's Majorna! I just have my fingers crossed that the sun will shine tomorrow too so I can finally take my new bikini into the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment