Wednesday 22 February 2012

Shorts: 1942 edition

  





Today I started sewing a pair of shorts for my boyfriend on his birthday.  The pattern is from 1942! It has the coolest buttoning-waistband detail.

This is the first time I've sewn with a non-printed pattern.  Instead of printing the markings on the tissue (such as where darts go, etc) they put small perforations in the paper and you copy these onto your fabric.  I think it's actually a bit easier than using printed patterns, as transferring the markings is just a matter of using a sewing pencil or tailor's chalk to draw them on, rather than having to use tracing paper, tailor's tacks, or any of the other ways to do it.

I'm planning to make a post in the future about sewing with vintage patterns! It's not very much different from modern patterns, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve to share! Plus I just want an excuse to show off my old patterns and the things I've made with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment