Sunday 15 January 2012

Blueberry pie

I was feeling unaccomplished yesterday, so just before I went to bed I made a blueberry pie.  So easy, so good!


Make a pie crust using your favourite recipe, and let it chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. Then smoosh half the dough over the bottom of a greased pie pan to make a roughly flat, even crust.  Bake for 8 minutes at 350.  Take it out and spread about 1.5 cups frozen blueberries over the top.  Sprinkle half a cup of sugar over the berries.  You could also grate some lemon zest over, which is a very yummy, but not necessary, addition.  Take the rest of the dough and smoosh little flat pieces of it and lay these over the blueberries.  Bake for another 20-30 minutes at 350.  You'll know it's done when the top crust turns golden. Of course you could also be fancy about it and roll the dough out and everything like a proper pie, but this way is so easy and so good.  You end up with something between a pie and a cake.  Really nice with coffee and vanilla sauce, or ice cream.

Of course it is winter, not blueberry season, and these are not frozen.  They are shipped (sigh) from Peru (sigh).  My dad bought them for me because he knows I like blueberries, so what could I say.  I wanted to give in to my tendency to lecture - especially my tendency to lecture on my favourite topics of local, seasonal, organic.  But it was a thoughtful thing for him to do, so I swallowed my lecture and baked a pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment